The One-to-One Program, Pittsburgh’s first youth mentoring program, is a vital force that is reclaiming young lives. After a multi-year study, One-to-One was recently acclaimed the nation’s premier mentoring ministry.
Mentors love the hands-on opportunity to shape a young life, to make a profound difference in a one-child-sized mission field.
One-to-One provides community volunteers with the support they need to be effective in working with an at-risk child, and our mentors maintain a vital friendship with their mentees nearly three times as long as the national average. A recent survey of parents whose kids are in One-to-One showed an astounding 100% claimed their satisfaction with the mentoring services and the achievement of their child’s goals in the program. Parents reported that their children had become more self-confident (85%) and were better behaved (87%) since entering the program.
- Offer mature guidance and role modeling as children make decisions that will steer the remainder of their lives
- Impart life skills and relationship-building skills that help prepare our kids to function positively as citizens in society
- Provide over 200 hours per year in “developing friendship,” a highly effective form of education, to children hungry for relationships and attention
A recent study showed that children in mentoring programs were:
- 46% less likely to use illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to start drinking
- 52% less likely to skip a day of school
- More likely to have healthy family relationships
To find out how you can become a mentor or for more information about the One-to-One Program, contact:
the Mentoring Department at 412-741-8550